We all know about depression, and if you don't, well I will presume that you have either been living under a rock or you are a new born baby.
In recent times, depression has slowly been capturing our youth and holding us at ransom until we do something death-defying to prove that we belong.
At the risk of sounding really lame, oh screw it I'm just going to say it, each and every person was put on this earth to do something great with their life, whether they wish to accept it or not. There are immense hardships along the way because, if life was a walk in the park there would be no sense of adventure and we would all be bored shitless.
The whole notion that depression stands for, sends chills through my body and is hair-raising.
If we go back in time, we can see that depression was present, but not to the extremes that it is now. Years ago, depression was really only common for people going through a midlife crisis or people who had lost family members. Now, we see young people dosing up on anti-depressants, trying to be happy and seem 'normal' amongst the teenage masses. But I think this is far worse than dealing with depression through appropriate courses of action.
What really upsets me is that depression has become such a common thing within youth culture, that people are starting to forget the immense psychological impact that it holds over a person.
Why is it, that because depression has become such a common thing for youth, people are starting to forget about its seriousness? Why is it, that depression is simply becoming a perception of an action of teenage angst and trend?
A friend of mine once said to me, "it's the people who are happy all the time. The people who act like nothing is wrong. The people who seem like they have nothing to hide. These are the people you need to look out for, because they are probably the ones hurting more than the kid who dyes their black and cuts their wrists. It's people like you that we are unaware of who might be suffering."
I for one do not suffer from depression, and I am so grateful for that every single day of my life. However, I did go through a dark time, when I thought everyone hated me. When I thought that being butch was scary. When I thought that a strong boy turned people away. This was a time when I was obsessed over what other people thought of me. Then, something incredible happened.
I met a bunch of people at my college who made me feel special. This was a group of people who pushed people to be themselves, and believed in "fuck everyone else's opinion of you". And I am so grateful to have met these people because they changed me, they made me happy to be me and to just accept that changing myself for others was pointless. Because the reality is, teenagers are always judging, whether you look like you fit it or you don't, they're judging.
So, to all the people out there who are suffering from depression, whether you've accepted it or not, you will overcome it. Whether it be through God, through people or through experience- you will overcome whatever feelings of sadness that occupy you.
Please just think about this, "...the notion that the world was riddled with holes where certain people and animals were meant to be, but weren't..."
We're put here for a reason. To fill the holes in the world with our gifts, talents and personalities. Don't be the one to take that away.
Comments
Post a Comment